The importance of regular fuel tank inspection
While we rigorously check our fuel tanks, one by one, to ensure the highest standards of quality and safety before sale, it is highly important to keep the maintenance of your tanks in mind after purchase. As a specialist manufacturer of bunded fuel tanks in the UK we know the importance, and the price, of neglecting your equipment.
As a basic measure you should make sure you undertake a fuel tank inspection at least once a year, performed by a qualified professional. If there are any concerns or issues with your fuel tank be certain to address and fix them as soon as possible. They can only get worse if left alone.
Check your fuel levels
Make sure you know how much you have in your fuel tank by checking the levels regularly. A sudden drop in levels can indicate a potential leak. If you suspect a leak in your fuel tank, consult a professional straight away.
Examine the area surrounding your fuel tank
Carry out your own fuel tank inspections on a regular basis, making sure to take note of all pipe work and equipment, primary and secondary containment, and the surrounding area.
The tank, piping, and bund should never display signs of:
- Corrosion or degradation (Oil stains, discolouration, rust, cracks or crazing)
- Obvious leaks, damage or interference
- Deformation or warping
- Make sure that all access points, vents, and sight gauges are closed off or shielded from water, dirt, and insects
- Make sure that the external bund is free of water, oil, or debris such as rubbish and plant matter
- Check the surroundings for obvious changes in the supporting structure and base
- Check the surroundings for oil stains on the supports or ground at the base of the tank
- If you find oil around the tank after a delivery you should contact your supplier as soon as possible.
Learn how to use the contents gauge on your fuel tank
Ask an experienced person to teach you how to use the contents gauge on your fuel tank and make regular checks on it.
- The mechanical gauge will display operation and linkages by simulating operations
- The electronic the gauge will display battery condition and indication of level changes
- The sight gauge will display operation, security, clarity, condition, cleanliness and valve position (either open or closed)
- While UK Bunded Fuel Tanks produces tanks with improved security and decreased risk of spillage, no tank is impervious to neglect. Inspecting your tank regularly is the first step to ensuring there are no unexpected problems. If you do find a problem at any point during a fuel tank inspection we recommend that you contact a professional immediately.
Basic maintenance of your fuel tank is not difficult or time consuming. Replacing your fuel tank if you fail to make regular inspections, or have it examined annually by a trained professional, is. It is also expensive.
For more information on fuel tank inspection call us today on 01282 854445 – we’ll be happy to help.